Thursday, August 14, 2008

I <3 physical therapy.


This is what my knee looks like three weeks later. The swelling has gone down significantly and I can somewhat see my kneecap again!

Seriously, I'm so glad I ended up going to Sports and Physical Therapy Associates instead of the hospital's physical therapy clinic. My therapist is so knowledgeable, understanding, and just plain amazing. And the people who work there are incredibly nice, not rushed and unhappy sounding, like at the other clinic I was going to go to originally.

My therapist decided to push me a bit today, since she felt that I was ready to get a move on my strengthening and range of motion. This is what we ended up doing:

Knee warm-up (heating and electro-stimulation): 10 min
Massage: 5 min
Quad sets with stim: 10 min
Leg lifts with 2 lb weights and stim: 10 min
Rotation movement on stationary bike (as much as I could do - I ended up doing about 15 rotations backwards since forwards isn't possible yet): 10 min
Side-lying hip abduction with 2 lb weights: 3 x 15
Side-lying hip adduction with 2 lb weights: 3 x 15
Knee arcs with stim: 10 min
Hamstring stretch
Icing with Game Ready and stim: 10 min

Today was a really good session and my therapist was pleased with my progress. I was quite pleased to see that my knee was responding so positively.

After PT, I went to visit my office and show everyone the scars and whatnot. It seemed pretty quiet for the most part, and everyone was happy to see me. I do want to go back, but not just yet. The front desk chairs aren't fit for my leg, and there isn't any other place I can sit just yet. So we'll see when I will actually go back.

A week till my first "class." I can't believe how fast this summer has flown by.

No comments: