Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Week 2

It's only been two weeks since the surgery but I feel like it's been forever. I remember when I first tore my ACL and was waiting for it to "heal" so I could walk normally again, and now I'm back where I started about two months ago (perhaps even worse off).

The first week was difficult. Everything just hurt - even attempting to move my leg caused me unnecessary pain. But after I was allowed to remove my dressings and really start the icing, the swelling came down a lot and I started to bend again.

I think I'm at 95 degrees; I know I can do 5 degrees with an almost straight leg (which I couldn't do before). Last night I discovered I could lift my leg (with my knee stabilizer on), which means that my quad does remember what to do. The only problem with that is that once the stabilizer is off, my quad forgets everything again and I'm stuck trying to move my leg around with the aid of my arm.

I started PT up again today (and twice a week for the next three weeks) per doctor's orders to get more range of movement in the knee. I had electro-stimulation before and after my session. I could only do quad sets and heel slides (with a band to assist), but that's the regimen until my leg remembers its flexion. The next session is on Thursday - we'll see how the muscle feels then.

I've picked up crutch walking at a very quick pace - I can race people now, haha.

I hope I can at least limp by next week. We'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep working at it. As even a couple of complete strangers who noticed me doing my therapy exercises told me, it gets better!