Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Week 4

One month since surgery.

About two-and-a-half months since the injury.

I think I'm healing pretty well.

My physical therapist has me walking (albeit a bit strained) without crutches now. Today's regimen was a bit tougher:

Knee warm-up with stim: 10 min
Massage: 10 min
Stationary bike: 10 min
Leg lifts with stim: 7 min
Short arcs with stim: 7 min
Passive knee flexion: 3 x 15
Side-lying hip abduction: 3 x 15 x 3lb
Side-lying hip adduction: 3 x 15 x 3lb
Wall squats (1/4 way down) with exercise ball: 3 x 10
Game Ready icing with stim: 15 min

My therapist had me walking back and forth during the first half of the session and the second half. I had to remind myself not to walk with a limp since I can bend the leg now. It's hard when the knee is so stiff, and it's first instinct to lock everything up and swing from the hip instead of walking heel-toe.

While I was on the bike, however, I discovered I could bend my knee far enough to rotate forward, so I was able to cycle for 10 minutes. That was a complete surprise to me, since the last session I had I couldn't go backwards without pain, let alone forwards. I hope I can make it to my school gym at least twice a week to cycle.

I'm icing with the Cryo-Cuff now since my knee is totally swollen from the activity I put it through today. Recovery sure is exhausting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the best thing about PT are those little surprises. I don't know how many times I had an initial reaction of "you want me to do what?" only to find that the therapist knew best.

Glad to hear you're weaning off the crutches. Normal strides will probably come fairly quick, though I found it took me a good long time to lose the limp when making small movements, like when you're shuffling around the kitchen.