Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Week 1 - Fever?!

I woke up with a fever of 100.4 yesterday of no known causes. It was 7AM and my mother had just gone to work, so I had my brother cover me in an attempt to sweat it out (I know, bad judgment on my and his part, but it was all I could do without wanting to knock myself out). I threw two percocet down my throat and didn't wake up again until 2PM.

At 2PM, I sat there shivering and sweating at the same time. Took my temperature again and it had dropped to 100.1. My sister brought home some chicken noodle soup and gave me some apple juice and bread to go with my meal. I ate 3/4 of it all and then attempted to pass out again.

I woke up at 7 feeling sweaty and disgusting. The good thing was, it seemed that my fever had broken. The bad thing was that the sore throat was still there. I had called my surgeon earlier to tell him of my bodily developments and he said to just get rest and take the percocet to counter the fever effects (Tylenol is a component of perc). And to drink lots of fluids, as long as the incisions weren't puffy, swollen, or red (which they weren't).

I finally recovered around 8PM, and was able to eat the whole of my dinner. It was an okay feeling, finally being full after a week or so of being unable to really eat. I've been taking Colace with every meal, since it seems that percocet doesn't allow me the luxury of bowel movement (yeah, gross).

I woke up this morning with a horribly dry and sore throat, and an achy body. I really hope that fever doesn't come back. It doesn't help that I accidentally allowed my knee to bend when it wasn't ready for it. I was moving off an ottoman and forgot to grip my shin to support it and the knee came buckling down into a 90 degree angle. At least I know I can bend, but not without certain pain.

I discovered that I could do quad tightening sets today, so I'm adding that to my three times a day regimen.

I wish I felt like eating. Instead I just feel like throwing up, even though I know there's nothing in my stomach to do so. I have a bowl of peach oatmeal and OJ for breakfast, and I haven't even gotten through 1/4 of it.

I know it's only been a week since my surgery. It seems like so much yet so little time has passed by. The knee isn't so sore anymore; I'm just afraid of hurting it with any attempted walking.

I just wish that my bodily soreness would go away.

2 comments:

Davidx said...

I hope you're feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Ugh. Not a nice way to mark your first week of recovery.

Still, you did get to see that the joint does have some action in it.