Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Week 7

I woke up this morning and was pleasantly surprised to find that shuffling to the bathroom wasn't as painful. The knee itself is still stiff when I first try moving it after being stuck in the same position all night, and it still feels like there's a weight on the calf part of my leg, but overall it seems to be doing a lot better. The swelling has gone down a great deal since the last time I posted a photo, too (which I don't have for now).

I had my 12th PT session since the injury today - my therapist upped some of the weights for the exercises I do:

Knee warmup with stim: 10 min
Stationary bike: 10 min on strength training
Leg press: 3 x 15 x 6th weight setting
Short arcs: 3 x 15 x 2lb
Leg lifts: 3 x 15 x 3lb
Hip abductions: 3 x 15 x 4lb
Prone hip abductions: 3 x 15 x 4lb
Hip adductions: 3 x 15 x 4lb
Hamstring curls: 3 x 15 x 2lb
Wall squat with exercise ball: 3 x 15 at almost 90 degrees
Heel raises: 3 x 15
Step ups (front): 3 x 15
Step ups (side): 3 x 15
Calf/hamstring stretches
Game Ready icing with stim: 15 min

My physical therapy sessions are lasting about 1.5 hours at this point if I do my exercises at a relatively quick pace. It's been helping a lot and compared to when I first started PT up again after surgery, I've come a long way. Apparently I'm able to walk normally now, too - sometimes I have a limp after sitting for too long, but that usually goes away when I "warm up" and walk for a little bit.

In the meantime, school has been draining me daily, and work is exhausting, especially when you deal with an average of 10-15 students a day. But, I'm slowly getting back on track with what my schedule was before the injury, so we'll see how I fare.

It's motivating to hear that things are getting better, and to compare the results to a point in the past. I hope that I can progress more by this time next week.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Hey! I just came across your blog and thought I'd write a quick hello.

Sounds like you're making great progress with physio and everything else!

I'm three days post-op and looking forward to getting on the path to recovery.

Best of luck!

Jessica

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are picking up, recoverywise.

Don't know how you're doing all this with school and work. Gotta say it's been nice being fairly settled and routine in life when dealing with something like this.

Keep up the good work.

Michele said...

Great report! Congratulations on losing your limp. I am glad to hear that you are "back on track".