Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Doctor's Visit + PT Session 2.

I feel like an experiment sometimes, especially with this injury. I'm always being tested, no matter what I do or where I go.

For instance, on Monday when I met with my surgeon to make sure everything was set for the surgery, they brought in a med student just to see how appointments were done. I was sitting on the bench and my doctor did some flex testing in my leg to see my range of motion, and I had his assistant and the student staring at me the entire time. Awkward.

At my PT session last week, my therapist brought in one of her co-op students to show her what a torn ACL injury feels like in the knee. So, I let her pull and push at my leg with no complaints.

Part of me understands that living in a city where 90% of the hospitals are teaching schools will result in my being tested somehow. I just didn't expect it for this particular injury.

Anyway, my doctor's visit went fine. He was happy with the results I had gotten from my PT, and answered some questions I had about the surgery. My new ACL is going to come from my hamstring, and if that isn't long enough, they'll have an allograft on the side just in case. The expected time for me to get off crutches is going to be about four weeks (although I'm aiming for two), and then formal PT will start up again afterwards. I wonder if I'm missing anything in my inquiry . . .

My therapist has upped my PT; she's letting me do my quad sets, lifts, ankle pumps, and heel raises with 5 lb weights around my ankle. It was getting too easy for me to do it without resistance. I warmed up with heating on my knee, then a quick massage on it, 10 minutes on the stationary bike, and my exercises with weights. The session ended with icing and electro-stimulation.

I have another session tomorrow and then I'm off to surgery in six days. I can't believe how soon it is. I have doubts of getting it done, but if I don't get it done, I won't be able to do sports (or anything that requires twisting). I hate anxiety.

At this point I'm just hoping for the best and quickest recovery.

2 comments:

Michele said...

The waiting is the worst part. As soon as the surgery was over, I knew that I was on my way to having a strong, stable knee.

Sending good thoughts your way for a speedy recovery!

Anonymous said...

It'll be worth it.

Don't forget to review Black Belt Mama's Survival Essentials for the First Week. I didn't need everything she did, but it was a big help. And planning the early part of your recovery is a great way to take your mind of things.